Summer Is Here – Now What?
So technically we still have a bit of time until the official “Day of Summer” begins. But we’ve just completed our 2017-2018 homeschool year (thankfully) and now I’m so ready for that Summer break from teaching. Yes, I know “we’re always teaching our children” but I’m talking the scheduled lesson plans filled days.
So Now What?
This Summer I’m going to do something totally different. Completely radical. I’m going to work on me! That’s right. I said it. This homeschoolin’ mama is going to focus on herself this Summer. *Gasp*
Let me explain how I came to this decision. This homeschool year was…challenging. We took the year off from dance which my girls were definitely NOT happy about it, but it was necessary for us. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of concentration and effort I saw from my girls, but let’s just say we are very fortunate to be finished with this year.
Our days were spent arguing and me nagging just to get things completed. I was staying up late trying to work because our school days were growing longer and longer. It was just a very difficult year.
And, for me, came the weight gain for me. I think I’ve told you before that I eat with my moods. “Yay – great job! Let’s get some ice cream!” “Ah! This day needs to end! Where are the chips?” (which is usually happening with me hiding in the pantry so I don’t have to share). Combine that with super late nights and stressing out over whether I’m messing my kids up or not and you are asking for an explosion of weight gain.
I’m Focusing On Me This Summer
I love my children and I love homeschooling them. Everyone has peaks and valleys – this past year was a valley for me. I sat back and really replayed this past year and came to the conclusion – I need to work on myself if I want the next year to be different.
It kind of goes back to the old “You can’t control the way someone else acts, you can only control your own actions.” I say this to my girls often, yet I’m not applying these words to myself. Changes need to happen in me and Summer just may be the best time to do it! Here is where I’m starting.
5 Ways To Start Focusing On You:
- Create a list of things you’d like to see changed in yourself. Thoughts, behavior, habits, attitude, organization, you get the idea. Be careful you’re not turning this into “I’m such a horrible person” kinda list. These need to be areas, specific areas, that frustrate you when you do them (or don’t do them). But always make sure you’re using kind words, even about yourself.
- For example: I truly want to be a morning person. Someone who gets up and works out and does my Bible study before the kids get up (because I know I’ll just get sidetracked later on and do none of it).
- Create an action list for each of these areas. Take each item on your list and write each one on the top of separate pieces of paper. Now, tell yourself what you need to do to achieve each of these.
- For example: If one of your areas is you wish you were more organized, say “Organize Linen Closet, Laundry Room, Pantry…” Be specific as to what you need to organize to feel like you’re organized.
- Plan Your Success. Sit down with your planner and block out “Working On Me Time” where you have an opening each day. Try to get at least 3-4 days in a week that you are dedicating to YOU! Now, you don’t need to be specific here. Just “Me Time” is plenty.
- Start small and work your way up to the big stuff. Once you knock out a few quick/easy items for yourself you’ll feel encouraged to keep moving forward. Maybe even do one small task and then a big one and then back to a small one again. Anything that’s going to keep you motivated to finish your entire list.
- Check off everything as you complete it. I’m talking, big fat marker through it! It’s amazing how good you feel just by crossing something off a list.
If you focus on YOU and work on YOU just think how amazing you’ll feel by the end of the Summer. You will truly feel energized, accomplished, and ready to start a new homeschool year.
You can use this in other areas of your life too like work and homeschool. But, for this summer, work on you. Give yourself the attention and the focus you need. You’re a homeschoolin’ mama who is always focused on your family. Take this Summer to get to know you again. Bring the real you back to life – you’re family will be amazed at the difference.
BTW – Since I am focusing on me again – I will also be back to my One Roll at a Time blog too! It’s time to shed some pounds and I’d love the company! Join me over there too!