Why We Homeschool
As homeschoolers we tend to get a lot of questions when a person realizes we’re homeschooling. One of the number one questions I get is: Why? Why would you choose to stay home with your kids all day and teach them? This is only second to: How long are you going to keep homeschooling?
So I thought I would share our families top 5 reasons we homeschool:
- Personalized Education: When you are in school, whether public or private, kids are expected to all learn in the same way at the same speed. Anyone who has more than one child knows this is not how kids work. By expecting all kids to fit into one nice neat little box you are setting them up for years of frustration and self doubt. By homeschooling my girls I can tailor each and every school year to what each one of them needs. I can keep the learning pace at what their learning style and abilities require. Tailor-made education at it’s finest!
- Let Kids Be Kids: It seems like everyone is trying to make kids grow up faster than they should. Schools are “educating” children on topics I just don’t think need to be covered at such incredibly young ages. Let them be kids. Let them enjoy life before the world becomes a reality to them.
- Building A Strong Family: Yes some day my kids will be out there and “on their own”. No I do not plan on holding their hand through out their entire life. BUT I do want them to know my hand is there whenever they need it. I want them to know that our family always has each others backs no matter what. Spending our days together lets us get to know each other, interact with each other for more than just a meal. It also teaches my girls how to disagree with each other while still showing love. Trust me – when you’re homeschooling you are going to have your fair share of disagreements. What better way to show your kids how to lovingly do this (with out the pressure of doing so in public with extra eyes that could be an embarrassing moment for some).
- Foster Imagination: When kids are told they need to learn one way, sit one way, act one way, you are crushing their imagination. They need to be free to move around and mess with stuff. Let them create and build. If they have ants in their pants you need to let them wiggle them out. As their parents our job is to allow them to guide us in how they need to be taught. If we can give them the freedom to dream we are giving them a huge advantage in life.
- Put God First: Above all the rest of these reasons my BIGGEST reason to homeschool is to teach my girls through the Bible. To show them that God created this beautiful world and He wants us to study it. He wants us to ask questions and enjoy the wonder of His works. I want them to learn to study the Bible for themselves, see that Science really does prove God’s existence. This is what we need to be educating our children on – equip them with the Truth!
Now my girls would tell me to add a 6th reason on here – to dance more. Ha! It’s true they “live to dance” and with homeschooling we are able to be at dance 5 nights a week and still keep our family a priority. So for my girls I will add “dancing more” as our #6 reason to homeschool.
But basically it comes down to this. As parents we always want what is best for our kids. We want them to be like us only better. For our family, we believe that homeschooling is the best way to accomplish this. But it’s also something we believe God has asked us to do. I wasn’t 100% on board with the idea when my husband first put homeschooling out there. Truly. And I will admit I have my moments where I question His calling. But then I know He has me right where He wants me – at home teaching my children.
Do you homeschool?
What are some of your reasons you decided to teach your kids at home?